Friday, May 16, 2008

Conquer the Summit



The summit? For a soul which has surrendered itself, everything becomes a summit to conquer. Every day it discovers new goals, because it does not know how, or want, to limit the love of God.
- St. Josemaria Escriva, The Furrow #17

By the time in entered my junior year of college, I had developed a love for learning. At that time the love was focused on mathematics which was my major. Now that love for learning has spread to different areas. But I have especially learned to love the study of theology and scripture. One thing has become quite clear to me as I continue to study: I don't know much. What I mean is, the more I learn, the more I realize I have to learn.

I believe that it true with our relationship with God. The more I come to know God, I am confronted by the fact that I am still so far away from Him. The good news is that He makes up for what we lack. Every time God burns away an imperfection, five more seem to become exposed. Such is the spiritual life. Our salvation is a journey that lasts a lifetime. God is continually molding and shaping us. Sometimes the summits are tougher to conquer than others. Many times it seems like there are multiple summits to overcome at one time. Regardless of the situation, God promises to complete the good work in us that He has started.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this...

No comments: