Friday, April 24, 2009

Balance

I remember in college there was a joke that was sent around that went something like this:

Steps to writing a term paper:

Step 1: Turn on computer.
Step 2: Check email.
Step 3: Open New Document.
Step 4: Begin rough draft.
Step 5: Check email.
Step 6: Spell check first paragraph.
Step 7: Make a snack.
Step 8: Check email.

I think you get the point. Why is it that we have such a difficult time putting first things first? Why do we fill our days with things that don't matter, then complain that we don't have enough time to do the things that do matter. I don't know that I have the answers. It seems like all I can provide is more questions.

One thing that I do know is that I cannot do it on my own. I have recently found that when I pray, "Lord, give me the strength to...", what I really mean is , "Lord, remind me of the things that I am supposed to do for you so that I can go out and do them."

I guess that means that I still have a ways to go with this whole humility thing. I want to rejoice in my weakness for it is in my weakness, that Christ makes up what I lack. It isn't me. It is Him. I have nothing to offer that will add to Christ. Yet he wants me nonetheless.

No comments: